Friday, July 10, 2009

The View from my Porch...Now


This is the view from my back deck or as I prefer to say, porch. Not much of a view, an empty lot, hardly mowed. The dogs like it as use it as their DPA (designated pooping area). Normally I would not allow them to do their duty in someone else's yard, yet the owners mow it maybe once a month, so I know it is not noticed. Frontline is a must, as the ticks are abundant. The next lot over is a lovely house, vacant for a year now, and recently had a forclosure notice on it. Hmmm. Doesn't sound like much, does it? Yet, it is home and I love it here. I have to say, I don't miss my old home. Maybe it is because it is our family that makes it home, not the place. Emma, who still lives in Baltimore, has been here as much as possible. My Mom has come several times to help, My sister came and did all my laundry one weekend, and set up my desk (which I love!), My Father even came out one day, just to see me in action and have lunch on the porch. Yes, it is home. By the way, this is also the view from my porch, much better wouldn't you say?

I live 10 miles from a resort beach area, yet am even more rural than I was before. As much as I dislike Walmart, I have found that I must have used it a lot. The nearest one is about 20 miles away. I am not yet sure where to get those miscellaneous type items. Although we do boast Hockers or G&E, both local markets, within 5 or 6 miles, that are a supermarket, hardware store, and drugstore combined. You can get freshbaked goods or a crab trap, prescription drugs or a sandwich. Oh, and gas too!
The most action this town sees is on the weekends when the traffic flows east on Friday and west on Sunday. We have an authentic Mexican restaurant, a bank, a Police Department, a volunteer fire company (3 lots over - the siren does not go off that often), a quilt shop, a jeweler, a barber, a beauty shop (to which I already walked and got my wax on), and our claim the fame, The Clayton theatre.Photo by Ray Smock

My typical day here starts at 6:30 am, already at work, brewing the coffee, setting my staff up to cook breakfast for the visiting group. I usually work until 1:00ish, to go home, let the dogs out, have a beer, go for a swim, unpack a bit, then back to work by 4:00pm, at which point I check the dinner plans, check my staff, return phone calls, answer emails, make menus for the next couple groups, and always have someone in my office, asking something. I am home by 8:00pm at the latest and basically am not good for anything. This can go on for 2 days, 4 days, or even weeks, without much of a break. I'm not very good at giving myself time off, I admit it. But...I am in my element.
In our short time here, as in living here, we have already had 10 guests, most overnights but some just for an evening visit. Summers will be like that, friends and family will come take advantage of our offer, go to the beach, sit by the pool, and lucky for me, unpack a box or two, put a few things away (I can't find my vegetable peeler! but if that is all I can't find, I am lucky). The shock will come this fall, when I won't be working, the visits will peter out, the cold weather will come, the traffic will stop, and life will slow down. I think it will be a good slow, one when Audrey can find her place here, one where I can be Mom and Wife and Crafter, one where the dogs will go walking, walking, walking.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My visits will not peter out. I'm afraid if I don't come to see you, I might forget what you look like. Ha! :) Mama

Texan said...

hey girly,
I have my blog back up and running,new name..Texan..was Rabbitstitchings
http://texan.blogspot.com/

I am going back to school this semester, different school

Gina said...

Sounds like a dream to me my friend.