Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Mindful Knitting

My heart aches and so I knit.  I knit a birthday present for my oldest.  Into the gift I knit the wish that she has the knowledge and comfort of knowing she is not alone and that she is loved.  I knit the wish that she forgive those who hurt her even though they choose not to forgive her for her wrongs. I knit the desire for healthy, mature relationships and growth. I knit for kindness, compassion, and understanding, that they be qualities she practice and that they be reflected back onto her. I knit happiness and sparkle into the garment with the hope that she will shine when she wears it.  And I knit my embrace into it, that my arms always be enveloped around her while she wears it with the hopes that she embrace what life gives her.  I also knit for myself.  The repetitive knit pearl rib allows me to also pray for patience and the ability to be Confidant and Mother.  I also knit to forgive, for I think a Mother's forgiveness is more difficult to come by.  I am quick to defend and slow to forgive so I knit for understanding and love, that it be granted to me, to her father, to her sister, to her, and to others.

3 comments:

Texan said...

Thats a lot to get from knitting :O)... hope everything turns out well for everyone involved :O)...

Anonymous said...

Dana, again I am wrenched by your writing. You do it to me all the time. I am sorry for the hard time.

dad

Anonymous said...

Dana, how touching without even knowing the depth of your concerns. I want to learn to knit too...perhaps a way for me to find some peace and to let go of my anguish.
Much love,
Berlyn