Tuesday, June 15, 2010

I Have Been Blessed

I had the good fortune to be born in the United States of middle class parents.  I had the good fortune to marry well and raise a family with minimal difficulties.  I have the good fortune to have friends in various places.  I have the good fortune to have the choice to work or not. These are just circumstances, that is not what I am thinking about.

I took a job a year ago, one I was uncertain about.  It was a huge step outside my comfort zone.  It was full of stress, tears, sleeplessness, isolation, guilt.  I rarely saw my family.  Yet, in the end, the people and things I experienced, it was more than worth it.  I won't reiterate what happened last year only what occurred on Sunday. 

We hosted a young adult group of Koreans.  They are a very worshipful group, a respectful group, an easy and difficult group (like they all are).  The weekend almost over, me counting down the meals, down to the last, a young woman asks me to bring out my staff.  They wanted to pray over us.  And in that same room where three years ago I had hands layed upon me by those I knew, loved, counseled, counseled by, I again had hands layed upon me by strangers.  All of them saying their own prayers, whispers, praises, wishes. 

And again, I came out renewed by the Spirit.

No comments: