Monday, June 19, 2006

Shelby

This is Shelby when we first got her in January 2005. She was 8 years old and we got her through GRREAT. Well, things have not gone as planned. First few months were good, for the most part. I'm not sure whether we blamed things on Gus or just chalked the events up to getting used to our home, schedule and family. Anyway, Shelby will be leaving us shortly. She has suffered from anxieties that I have not been able to control. She has gone through every screen in the house, and in 90 degrees weather, no a/c, windows closed, we are already sweltering. She has gone through the screen doors more than once. Too many times to count. She has done more damage than I care to admit. Mostly, she has put me in the middle between my family and her. They don't like her - can you blame them? Unfortunately, they are not around a lot when she is happy, which is pretty much when I am around. I like her when I am home but now I suffer from anxieties every time I leave the house. It comes and goes. Just when I think she has gotten over them, she pulls a big one. It pains me to do this but I know that GRREAT will find her another home, better than this one. One where there is a calm center, a regular schedule, one she will fit in. This one was not it. Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Laurie Ann said...

Dana - Sounds like you have done your best with Shelby. This is a decision you have not come to lightly, and sometimes it is best for both the family and the dog to rehome them. Good luck and don't beat yourself up too much about it. :( She'll be okay, and maybe even better.

Jeanne said...

{{{Hugs}}} Sometimes it's just time to look for better options. She will be happier.
Jeanne

Gina said...

Awww, I'm so sorry. I really feel for you. Everything will work out dear.