Tuesday, January 24, 2006

SPT - Sisters



















I have two daughters. The relationship between them is something I never, ever envisioned. They are the most amazing young women. They have been friends since the birth of the youngest. They are loving and tender towards each other but are also able to utter things to each other that neither would let anyone else say to them. They are equipped to tackle the world, knowing that at one time or another, they will have the support of the other. They are each others best friend. They have changed my life.

I have a sister. She is everything I feel I am not but my heart swells with the things she is and the things she does. I don't think I have ever been mad at my sister. She is my best friend and I talk to her almost daily. We laugh quite often, mostly at ourselves, and know that no one finds us as funny as we do. Then we find humor in that. I was priveledged to witness and coach the birth of her second child. I love her. She has formed me.

I have a Mother who has a sister. They, too, share the mysterious bond of sisterhood. All through their adulthood, they have socialized or vacationed together. Even when almost a thousand miles apart, they managed to get family and friends to vacation together. They share a love of books and movies and the ability to laugh until they snort. They, too, come from another bond of sisterhood. That of their mother and her two sisters, who also had the fortune to witness the bond of sisterhood with their mother and sister.

And so it goes, I don't know if that was the beginning or not. I have not done the research. What I do know is that each of us was formed by this bond. It has determined the way we treat one another, respect others, and care for one another. I would not be who I am today if it were not for the women in my life, both older and younger.

No comments: