Thursday, September 21, 2006

Gram's Sugar Cookies

1/2 C. shortening
1 C. sugar
1 egg
1 t. vanilla
1/2 C. sour milk
3 C. flour
1 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
Cream shortening and sugar together. Add egg and vanilla. In separate bowl, combine flour, soda, and salt. To make sour milk, add a little bit of vinegar. Sorry to be so vague, but that's the way we've always done it. Alternately add the flour mixture and the sour milk to the shortening sugar mix. Dough is going to be stickey. Roll into balls and flatten with floured glass bottom.
My sister is the master of these cookies. After making them yesterday, I discovered why I don't make them very often. I ended up covered in a sticky, cookie dough mess. It was quite delicious. These cookies were always available when visiting my Great Grandparents. Big, puffy, and biscuit like. I think I remember my Great Grandpa (Gramp) dipping his cookie in his coffee. I also remember him pouring his coffee into his saucer to drink.
 Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

weirdbunny said...

I've just woken up, the kettle is boiling for my coffee, and I'd just love one of those biscuits to dip into it.